Thursday, September 15, 2005

How do you spell fun?

F-I-B-R-O-M-Y-A-L-G-I-A. Sometimes called fibrositis, a chronic disorder that causes pain and stiffness throughout the tissues that support and move the bones and joints. Pain and localized tender points occur in the muscles, particularly those that support the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. The disorder includes widespread pain, fatigue, and sleep disturbances. Along with pain, many Fibromyalgia sufferers report headaches, poor sleep, fatigue, depression, and irregular bowel habits. Many others simply describe their symptoms as "flu-like."

What it means to me:
  • "Brain Fog"---On Tuesday, after 10 minutes of seriously trying to concentrate to figure out why we were in Erie on Sunday (because I remembered stopping at Country Fair on the way back to North East), I finally asked Lori, who reminded me that we spent 3 1/2 hours at the Hamot ER.
  • "Restless Leg Syndrome"---Even though I feel like I have been hit by the proverbial "Mac Truck", I still have to get up and clean the kitchen or whatever there is to do because I just can't stop moving. When I do stop, it feels like my muscles are "itchy" because they want me to get up and move.
  • "I have a headache."---Anyone who has known me for 5 minutes knows that the previous would be put on my tombstone if I were being buried, which I'm not; cremation is for me. A day without a headache is like a sunny, not too cool, not too warm, perfect breeze kind of day.
  • Pain---You want to go to bed so you can fall asleep and not feel the pain, but laying in bed is so painful, you want to sit in the chair, but it's too painful to sit after a few minutes that you wish you could just go lay in the bed. After playing ring-around-the-rosie, you just pass out wherever because you're too damn tired, only to feel like you're more awake than asleep during the night, but you're thankful when it's morning because you can get up and start all over again. Yeah!!!

That sums up the highlights...it's depressing to talk about, so I like to just live in denial. Life's more fun that way and, as we all know, I like to have fun.

2 comments:

Tam said...

That "itchy" feeling is actually your coke addiction. Seriously, I DO feel bad for you. I think I can count on one hand how many headaches I've ever had in my life. It's not like they can tell you "Take an aspirin and call me in the morning." I quote a lot. I apologize.

Michelle said...

Don't feel bad, dork, just be patient when I don't know my words. Owny hepphy snaggs!